Ajay's Interview - {Silver Sunday Story Writing Competition 2020}

My name is Ajay and I am 7 years old. I would like to talk about my grandpa. I did the interview over the phone. His name is Mohan while his nickname is Mona. He was born on 5th January 1953 (a week before my birthday) in a government hospital, Bangalore, India. He is 67 years old now. He has two older brothers, two older sisters and one younger sister. He had a pet dog when he was little. His wife (my grandmother) is actually his relative. His favourite colour is green. He only follows the Hindu culture, as he is a Hindu so he does not go to a church. He loves travelling. Travelling makes him happy. He has travelled to more than 100 cities in India! His favourite place was Ooty.   

Ajay with his grandpa

In college, he had a best friend called Suri. Hindi was his favourite subject and his favourite teacher was his biology teacher. When he was a kid, he wanted to become a bus driver (which never happened). Although his first job was working in a printing press.  

When my mum and her sisters were born, my grandpa was delighted. He has three daughters: the oldest is my mum, second is my aunt called Shruthi and finally the youngest Aunt called Ashwini.  

His first house was very small so when everybody slept they had to squeeze in with each other. Now he lives in a beautiful 3-floor house with two bedrooms. When my family and I go to India, we always visit him. Mostly we have a sleep over. He makes paper planes and we eat a lot. He gets my favourite cake, which is sponge cake. He also likes reading some newspapers. His favourite TV channel is animal planet. My sister and I have some of our toys at his house so if we go there we do not have to carry any toys ( I am not very strong).  

My mum’s dad and my dad’s dad became good friends when my mum and dad got married. I saw it in the marriage video (well now it is broken). He can talk a bit of English but mostly he speaks Kannada. I am very lucky to have one grandpa left now because my dad’s dad is no more. I call him every week so I can see his face and have fun with him. My mum’s youngest sister still lives with him because she is not married so if I talk English and he cannot understand she will translate in Kannada to him. We love playing bingo with each other on my mum’s phone. OMG!  

The things I like about him is that he always says funny things and he tells jokes to me. He lets me sit on his lap. The best thing about him is he buys biscuits for me, my sister and for himself. He is kind, great and caring grandpa. He always replies to all the people in his family (including me). 

Comments